Directory of Early Photographers in Cambridgeshire, S
He may have been the Mr Sanderson who was present at the Photographic Convention of the United Kingdom, 1897.
SANDERSON, Goodrich &
(Post Office Terrace)
SARONY, Oliver F X
Linkman identifies Sarony (a Canadian, born 1820 and died 1879) as an itinerant daguerreotypist who set up in Cambridge for 13 months in 1854/5. He later prospered with a permanent studio in Scarborough, Yorkshire.
Heathcote lists the following studios: Parker’s Piece, Cambridge, from November 1854 to December 1855; Holbeach, Lincs, in August 54; opposite the Session House, Wisbech, July to November 1854. Sarony added the collodion process to his repertoire in 1855. He was a great traveller in England and overseas, often working in partnership with John Baum(e). More information about his career can be found in 'Photographers in mid-nineteenth century Scarborough' (Anne & Paul Bayliss: Bayliss, 1998).
SAUNDERS, Hills &
Also at Oxford, Eton, Harrow & London, according to KC1869, HC1873, KC1875. In HC1873 the address is expanded to ‘The Oxford Photographic Gallery, 15 King's Parade, Cambridge’. In KC1908 the firm appears as ‘Hill & Saunders’.
See Hills for the early history of the partnership, which was dissolved in 1889 (though the original name continued in use for studios run by representatives of both families.) In March 1893 (we learn from Dimond & Taylor) the Eton studio, run by Frederick & Ernest Saunders but still trading under the traditional name, was granted its second Royal Warrant as Photographers to the Queen at Eton.
SCOTT & Wilkinson
Reeve notes that photographers from the firm were present to record the Prince of Wales receiving an honorary degree in 1892 and the town's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in 1897. According to a 'Norfolk Chronicle' report of 21st November 1908 (discovered by Paul Godfrey), the partnership was founded in the early 1880s and dissolved by mutual agreement towards the end of the decade. Edgar Wilkinson subsequently worked in Manchester and Norwich. The dates of the partnership, recalled some years later, may not be accurate, but it is clear that Wilkinson's name remained above the door long after he had left the business.
An itinerant recorded by Heathcote as operating at Mr Hemment’s, Market Place, Whittlesey, June 1855.
SHAW, A C
SHAW, Clements Athol
SHEPHERD, A W
See also Sheppard.
SHEPPARD, Alfred John
See also Shepherd.
SIMPSON, John Gray
When dating photographs, it would seem inadvisable to rely too heavily on the slightly varying forms of address.
SMEE & Co
SMITH, A L
SMITH, Frederick John
SMITH, Leonard William
According to Fosbrook-Ream, Smith sold the business to Lilian Ream after the First World War but continued working there as her employee until the late 1920s, when she gave up that studio (Studio note: 96 Lynn Road). Smith was also the goalkeeper for Wisbech Town FC.
According to Golding and Weston, Samuel Smith (1802-1892) settled in Wisbech in 1847 and took up photography in 1852, going on to make hundreds of calotypes of the area. An amateur rather than a studio professional, he enjoyed some repute as an architectural photographer, still using the calotype process as late as 1864. A selection of his work is held by the National Media Museum at Bradford.
SPENCELY, David Robert
STALLAN, William James
STARR & Rignall
These entries appear to refer to the firm of Thomas Stearn, below.
STEARN & Son(s)
Listed as ‘& Son’ 1895-1901, and ‘& Sons’ 1908-1919/20. All entries appear to refer to the firm of Thomas Stearn, below.
SC1874 lists ‘Thomas Stearn junior’; SC1891 lists ‘Thomas Stearne & Son’; KC1892-1904 lists ‘Thomas Stearn & Sons’. There also seems to have been an earlier Thomas Stearne who went unrecorded by trade directories. According to Reeve, all Bridge Street entries refer to Thomas Stearn junior, while Thomas senior had, at some stage, premises at King's Head Yard, off Magdalen Street, Cambridge. See also Sterne.
Steele is referred to by Hannavy as active in Wisbech in the 1860s, but he has not been found in trade directories. Could confusion with Enoch Steele, below, be possible?
This must be Thomas Stearn, above.
SUCKLING, Arthur H
Described as painter, glazier & photographer in HC1873.
www.earlyphotostudios.uk is a non-commercial web site for local and family historians, listing photographers operating 1840-1916, in Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Leicestershire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Rutland and Suffolk. The original site was researched and written in 2011 by the late Robert Pols, photo historian and author, and this re-constructed site is dedicated to his memory.
This site is powered by Web Wiz Green Hosting. We have been using their services for many years and are more than happy to recommend them to you.