Directory of Early Photographers in Norfolk, A
ACOCK, Charles F
ACOCK, Thomas W
ADCOCK, Ernest D
ADCOCK & Howie
Cory shows Adcock alone at 85 St Giles Street, c1887/8.
ADCOCK, Mann &
James Mann ran a studio alone at this address up to and including KN1879.
His name is mis-spelt as ‘Aegina’ in WS1875, WS1885, HN1877, and as ‘Agena’ in WN1883. A carte with ‘1869’ pencilled on it bears a stuck-on label which reads, ‘Sig. Aegena’s Sixpenny Carte de Visite, Magdalen Gates, Norwich’.
Hepworth has a photo of Aegina’s two-storey Thetford premises. A door and a bay window take up most of the room at street level, but Aegena makes the most of the opportunities available. The windows are entirely given over to examples of his work, with portraits of assorted sizes displayed alongside a selection of topographical subjects. A large framed board, filled with further pictures, hangs in the narrow wall space beside the door. Painted boards around the top of the bay announce: ‘H Aegena’, ‘Thetford Institute of Photography’, and ‘Sig. Aegena Artist’. Above the central board is mounted a coat of arms which features a lion and unicorn as supporters and which looks more royal than it really is. Above the door a further sign offers the additional services of picture frame making and advertising office. More signs and notices are stuck above the door at first floor level; while on the other side of the upper window is mounted, as a trade sign, a large model camera.
It appears from Austin that Signor Aegena was really William Henry Finch, junior (q.v.), who adopted his own variation of a family nom de plume.
Misspelt as 'Aldons' in TC1901.
ALGER, Cleer Sewell
HN1877 also shows Alger as a land agent, surveyor, lithographer and insurance agent. All directories except HN1877 and KN1900 refer to him as Cleer Sewell Alger junior.
ALGER, Frederick Sewell
AMES, Edward Cooper
Listed by Cory at Distillery Street, Norwich, 1859.
AMES, Frederick James
Entered as F Ames & Co, 1904-12.
An itinerant whose advertisement in 'The Norwich Mercury' of 16th August 1856 refers to him as continuing to operate in Fakenham. Heathcote locates him in Swindon in 1854 and believes him to have been previously employed in London.
AYERS, Ellen Martha
Daughter of Thomas (below). She was recorded as 'photographic artist' in the 1901 census and as 'artist, in 1891 and 1911. She is referred to in the Thomas Ayers studio note.
AYERS, Harry William
Son of Thomas (below). He appears to have worked in his father's studio and then taken it over after his death. Recorded as a photographer in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses and in the 1901 processing of his father's will. He is referred to in the Thomas Ayers studio note.
AYERS, Thomas S
He is misspelt as ‘Ayer’ in MS1868, and ‘Ayres’ in HN1872 and TC1901. Thomas ‘Dyers’ of Regent Road Yarmouth, who is listed in WN1854, seems likely to be Ayers as well. KN1858 refers to T Ayers junior. KN1853 shows a Thomas Ayers of Regent Road, Yarmouth, as a watch & clock maker. Heathcote refers to Thomas Ayers practising at 2 Clarence Place, Regent Road, from November 1853 onwards, and Paul Godfrey has found a cabinet print with 'Since 1852' printed on the mount. It seems possible that the Clarence Place addresses and the 3 & 4 Regent Road addresses all refer to the same studio.
Thomas Ayers died in 1901, but the business continued under his name when his son, Harry (above) took it over. (See also separate studio notes on Thomas Ayers and Regent Road studios)
www.earlyphotostudios.uk is a non-commercial web site for local and family historians, listing photographers operating 1840-1916, in Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Leicestershire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Rutland and Suffolk. The original site was researched and written in 2011 by the late Robert Pols, photo historian and author, and this re-constructed site is dedicated to his memory.
This site is powered by Web Wiz Green Hosting. We have been using their services for many years and are more than happy to recommend them to you.