Directory of Early Photographers in Norfolk, H - J
HALL, John Henry
Hall, a former tobacco pipe manufacturer, was recorded as photographer at 4 London Road in the 1891 census. The studio had already changed hands a number of times. E B Mowll (q.v.) had worked there for most of the 1880s, and he was succeeded by Charles Weale (q.v.) in about 1890. Mounts have been found printed for Weale and overprinted ‘John Henry Hall’. These must date from the very beginning of the decade, when Hall was using up an inherited stock of mounts. Slightly later mounts are printed ‘Jno Hy Hall, late Chas E Weale’. But in LNA1892 the business is referred to as ‘J H Hall, (late E B Mowell)’. Hall had presumably decided he could trade more effectively on the goodwill aroused by the earlier – though misspelled– photographer.
The date of Hall’s quitting the studio is not known, but by 1894 his successor, Hewitt (q.v.), had come and gone, and the studio was already home to its next occupant, T Smith & Sons (q.v.)
Assistant to Jasper James Wright (q.v.). She is mentioned in the 1898-1900 diary of James Speight (q.v.) and is recorded in the 1901 census as a photographer living in Boal Street, King's Lynn.
HAMPTON, Frances George
HANNANT, S William
He announced, on 5th June 1856, that he would begin the following week to make 'photographic portraits on paper' at his Photographic Rooms, opposite Wiltshire Place, Great Yarmouth. ('Norfolk News')
HAROLD, Harry William
‘Harry William Horold’ of Stoke Ferry, KN1896, must be the same photographer misspelt.
Brother-in-law to John William Smith (q.v.), boarding with him in King's Lynn in the 1891 census, and described as 'photographer's assistant'.
HAVERS, Rogers &
Recorded by Cory at 5 Davey Place, Norwich, 1859. Hepworth refers to the firm advertising in Roger's 1859 Norwich directory. The business had closed by 29th December 1860, when, in 'The Norfolk News', J R Sawyer announced that he had bought out their entire stock.
HAWKINS, Thomas G
Described in the directory as photographic artist & printer. According to Heathcote he was also a portrait painter.
HEATH, H I
Listed by Cory at Rampant Horse Street, Norwich, 1894.
Probably soon after this, and certainly before 1900, Howard Heath sold the business to Edgar Wilkinson (q.v.) for L200. (Information based on a 'Norfolk Chronicle' report, 21st November 1908, found by Paul Godfrey.)
HEUGH, E J
An advertisement by T Smith & Sons in the King’s Lynn Red Book for 1895 announces that the firm has taken over the studio at 4 London Road, and mentions Hewitt as the most recent previous occupant. This means Hewitt was in the studio between Hall and Smith and gives a dating of not earlier than 1892 and not later than 1894.
A surviving carte mount mentions that Hewitt had previously worked for H P Robinson & Son of Redhill. (The Redhill studio had been opened in 1888 by H P Robinson’s son, Ralph.)
HICKOX, Herbert Edward
Paul Godfrey draws attention to Herbert Hickox, who was living in Great Yarmouth in 1901 and 1902. He may well have been an itinerant/beach photographer. He was certainly a photographic innovator, who was granted a series of patents relating to the ferrotype process. For more details, see separate studio note.
HOGAN & Davies
Paul Godfrey draws attention to the Hollowell family, who were beach photographers in Great Yarmouth. The business was first run by Charles (originally from London) and his wife Emma (who was probably the daughter of John Sewell Johnson [q.v.]). The pitch was later worked by their son, Samuel, who is believed to have been the last of the town's beach photographers. Paul Godfrey has found a reference to a signalling system used between father and son in about 1900, whereby Charles could indicate that a customer had been found and instruct how many plates needed to be coated. This suggests they were using the wet collodion process at a remarkably late date.
HOOPER, Edwin C
Ran a studio in Holt and is known only from a cabimet print dating from the very early years of the 20th century.
HOROLD, Harry William
Believed to be a misprint for Harry William Harold, above.
HOWARD & Tansley
HOWARD, Thomas William
He is also described as a printer (HN1863, HN1872, HN1877) and as the proprietor of a gas works (HN1863).
HOWES, Miss Ethel Gertrude, & Co
More information about Howes can be found on the 'Early Norfolk Photographs' website.
HOWES, Robert William
Present at the Photographic Convention of the United Kingdom, 1897.
HOWIE, Adcock &
HUBBARD, Sidney J
Everitt recounts that Hubbard spent four years as a professional photographer between 1910 and the outbreak of the First World War. He was based at Virginia Cottage, Great Melton, where he developed and printed his glass-plate negatives without the aid of running water. He didn't return to photography after the war.
HUDSON, George B
See note to George Bradford Hudson, below.
HUDSON, George Bradfield
‘Bradfield’ is probably an error. See note to George Bradford Hudson, below.
HUDSON, George Bradford
Though it is possible that there were up to three different but related Hudsons, it seems rather more likely that there was one. Only George Bradford Hudson has been found in the censuses for 1871 and 1881. (In 1881 his occupation was given as ironmonger.)
Alborough was an alternative spelling of Aldborough.
The slightly differing versions of the address probably indicate a studio at number 17 until about 1863, and a studio at number 5 thereafter. According to Cory, Huggins continued in business until around 1872.
In 1867 a Mr Hunt erected a photographic studio (address unknown) that failed to comply with the regulations of the town’s paving commissioners.
A photographer, the erection of whose studio failed to comply with the requirements of King's Lynn's Commissioners of Paving, as reported in 'The Norfolk News', 6th April 1867.
Burlington Buildings, Orford Place, Norwich
JARROLD & Sons Ltd
The site is now occupied by the company’s department store.
In 'The Norfolk News', 25th October 1862, Jeary announced that he had erected a photographic studio 'on top of' his Exchange Street premises, His advertisement in HN1863 boasts that he ‘fearlessly invites comparison with any in the world’. On the evidence of trade directories, Jeary’s career seems to have been short, though his reputation lasted a little longer (for Herr L Kiesling was listed at Jeary's Photographic Rooms, Exchange Street, Norwich, KN1865). The rooftop studio was the focus of a 'Norfolk News' advertisement on 31st October 1868: 'A photographic gallery for sale, now standing on R Jeary's house, corner of the Market place, Norwich. It is complete with floor, &c., and easily taken down. Price L15, cost L57 four years back.'
Living with his mother in Wood Street in 1871, Jennings was described in the census as ‘photographer’. If he had his own business in Lynn, no other record of it has been found, though he did later run his own studios in Skipton and Keighley, and possibly in Bingley and Burnley.
JENNINGS, Burgess &
JENNINGS, Henry Constantine
Last listed at 1 Queen Street, Norwich, by Cory, c1881.
JEWSON’s Photographic Works
Presumably the same as A E Jewson, below.
JEWSON, Alfred E
Born in Camberwell in 1889, he returned with his mother to her native town at some time after his father’s death in 1895. By the time of the 1911 census he was describing himself as a ‘commercial photographer’ and working from the family home at 20 King Street, premises he soon after referred to as ‘Jewson’s Photographic Works’. He also briefly opened a High Street shop in the early 1930s. A prolific publisher of postcard views and recorder of local events, he continued in business many years beyond the scope of this directory and was still active in the late 1930s.
One Jewson photograph, dating from the1930s and showing two girls in an indoor location, is the only evidence so far found of studio work. It presumably originates from the High Street shop.
JOHNSON, John Sewell
Paul Godfrey reports the probability that Johnson's daughter, Emma, married Charles Hollowell, a Yarmouth beach photographer.
JOHNSON, Richard James
An 1890s carte mount describes Johnson as ‘Portrait & Landscape Photographer, Watchmaker & Electrician’.
Juba’s photographic career may not have been continuous, for an ‘E Juba, ticket writer’, is recorded at the Bridge Street address in KN1865.
Cory lists him back in Norwich at Moon & Stars Yard from 1877.
JULYAN, Frederick George
Partner in Ralph & Julyan (q.v.), St John’s Terrace, Kings Lynn – a business believed to have been active some time between 1895 and 1899. Julyan’s early years remain undocumented, but he went on to run his own studio in Orpington (by 1904).
www.earlyphotostudios.uk is a non-commercial web site for local and family historians, listing photographers operating 1840-1916, in Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Leicestershire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Rutland and Suffolk. The original site was researched and written in 2011 by the late Robert Pols, photo historian and author, and this re-constructed site is dedicated to his memory.
This site is powered by Web Wiz Green Hosting. We have been using their services for many years and are more than happy to recommend them to you.