Directory of Early Photographers in Suffolk - F - G
FARRINGDON, John Irving
FARTHING, Thomas F
Presumably a Bury photographer. He is mentioned as the employer of William Collings, photographer, in a 'Bury and Norwich Post' court report, 13th May 1862. (For brief details of the case, see Collings' entry.)
FIELD, C E
Eugene Arthur Finch (also known as Arthur Aegena Finch) was one of a family of photographers originating from Norwich. Jayne Greenacre reports that he married the niece of Eliza Court (q.v.) in Southwold in 1876, but that he was still working with his father in and around Acle, Norfolk, in 1877. His 1880s studio in Southwold High Street appears to be the one formerly run by his wife's relations. He died in 1883, so the entry in WS 1885 could indicate a considerable time lag between the collection of trade directory information and its actual publication. Alternatively, it could be the result of a family member continuing the business under Arthur's name. Neither scenario would be unprecedented.
For background information on the Finch family, see entries under Aegena, Finch and Fynch in the Norfolk studio directory.
FISK, A G
Considering the 1873 gap in the record of Alfred Samuel Fisk, below, considering the address, and considering that this is the only A G Fisk entry, a misprint seems likely.
FISK, Alfred Samuel
See A G Fisk, above, for a possible explanation of the lack of an 1873 entry.
Fisk's advertisement in HS1864 speaks of ‘Ten years' practical experience in Photography & Art’ and insists that his studio has ‘the most perfect arrangement of light and shade to suit the contour of each Sitter’. ‘Private waiting and dressing rooms are available’. An advertisement in WS1874, found by David Gobbitt, gives the more precise etablishment date of 1852.
David has also supplied some further information: Fisk was described as a cabinet maker (like his father, Samuel) at the time of his 1858 marriage to Sarah Gammage, and the 1861 census listed him as 'cabinet maker and photographer'. He won a bronze medal 'for excellence in photography' at the Needham Market Fine Art and Industrial Exhibition in 1867 and a bronze medal at the Paris Exhibition of 1878 for pictures of animals. 'The Ipswich Journal' of 17th July 1867 praised the clouds in his pictures, though a year later (8th August 1868) the same paper questioned their authenticity.
FISKE, George G
See also George O Fiske, below.
FISKE, George O
See also George G Fiske, above.
FOSDIKE, Edward A
GILL, John H
An advertisement, discovered by David Gobbitt in the 'Bury and Norwich Post', 5th September 1893, refers to Gill's recent opening of the studio at 77 Whiting Street. The advertisement also reveals that Gill was 'For many years with Mr W S Spanton' (q.v.).
Appleby relates that Gill became apprenticed, at the age of 15, to William Vick (q.v.) of Ipswich. He eventually set up his own business in Colchester, Essex, in the 1880s, and subsequently became known both for his writing on photography and for his pictures taken under such difficult lighting conditions as moonlight and sunsets.
Some confusion is half suspected here. According to Appleby, W R Gill, son of William Gill, above, was running a studio at Head Street, Colchester, Essex, at this time. There was (and is) a Dog’s Head Street in Ipswich, but not, it appears, a Head Street.
GILLAM & Syrett, R.J
Itinerants listed by Heathcote as practising at London Road, Lowestoft, July 1855.
Known only from 'The Norfolk News', 6th August 1863, which reports the court appearance in Lowestoft of 'M. Ernest Gleichen, photographer, and Sarah, his wife', charged with assaulting Samuel Butcher on 26th July. The case against Gleichen was dismissed, but his wife was fined 15 shillings.
GOBBETT, W J
GODDEN, John H
A carte mount refers to studios in Haverhill and Sawston.
GOODERHAM, Grayson W
GOODWIN, Alderton &
www.earlyphotostudios.uk is a non-commercial web site for local and family historians, listing photographers operating 1840-1916, in Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Leicestershire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Rutland and Suffolk. The original site was researched and written in 2011 by the late Robert Pols, photo historian and author, and this re-constructed site is dedicated to his memory.
This site is powered by Web Wiz Green Hosting. We have been using their services for many years and are more than happy to recommend them to you.